Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sing along with 'Star Trek'


When I was in college, there was a terrific bookstore in Tucson, Ariz., called Bookman's. The size of a medium size grocery store, Bookman's was a bright, well-organized and deeply stocked emporium of used books, magazines, CDs, vinyl LPs, cassettes, international newspapers and even comic books. I bought lots of great sci-fi novels there for cheap — more than a few of them "Star Trek" based.

One of the great treasures I scored there sometime around 1990, for less than $5, was a first printing from 1968 of "The Making of Star Trek," by Gene Roddenberry and Stephen E. Whitfield in great shape. This book featured lots of very cool info on the creation of the series, including memos, sketches, photos and script treatments. I have no idea if it's still in print or easy to find, but it's highly recommended for its contemporary, though not PR-free, history of the show's creation.

The book starts out with an often-overlooked bit of trivia: the lyrics to the "Star Trek" theme song as written by Gene Roddenberry. The music, of course, was by Alexander Courage (a great name for a composer).

I've never heard this sung, but you can get the idea by following along in your mind ...

Beyond
The rim of star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me.


"Trek" never got a musical episode the way "Buffy" did, but for whatever reason this stuck in my head and would have made a very cool alternate track for one of the soundtrack CDs.

No comments: